Etsy Mini Banner

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Palazzo Pants







I photographed Jess in these amazing sheer Palazzo Pants from the 70's and it got me curious about where they originated.  I found this info on couture allure 
Galitzine is most famous for introducing palazzo pants in 1960, and here we see one of the earliest incarnations as shown in the October 1964 issue of Vogue magazine. Named "Palazzo Pyjamas" by Diana Vreeland, they were a relaxed but sophisticated evening look.

Success came when Galitzine was given the pretigious "Filene's Young Talent" award in Boston in 1959, and her designs were introduced to America. She was voted "Designer of the Year" by the Italian press in 1962 and given the "Sunday Times International Fashion Award" in 1965.

Galitzine closed her house in the late 60's, but reopened 1970. Princess Galitzine died in October 2006. Her house is still in operation today.

Shown above are her palazzo pyjamas in black matelasse. "Softened folds at the neck continue under the short top tier, and flare to a tunic over wide pants. The back - bared to the waist. In America at Lord & Taylor." There is a wide black satin ribbon sash at the waist, tied in a big bow at the front. The model wears little jeweled evening slippers.

3 comments:

  1. those are amazing! especially with the bathing suit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I have a photo of her in her pajama pants, they're black and white. I will scan it when I find it. I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog it's really natural and easy to read actually i want to buy palazzo i am finding but thanks for giving me such nice technic and platform again thank you for sharing girls Palazzo Salwar kameez post

    ReplyDelete